Guardianships and Conservatorships

Third Party Guardians for Minor Children in Michigan

The ideal of a child being raised by two loving, supportive parents is not the reality for many children. While many children are raised from broken or split homes, other children are raised by someone other than a parent, such as a grandparent, aunt or uncle, or other family member. What is important is that the child’s best interests are looked after and that the child is receiving the love, support, and guidance that he or she needs.

Our family law attorney at Bain & Bain, PC, offers caring, experienced legal counsel to families involved in difficult situations where a child is raised by someone other than the parent. We represent parents as well as third parties in guardianship and conservatorship proceedings in Michigan.

Legal Help for Trying Times | Call Us Today at 1-248-380-8787

When a child is being raised by someone other than a parent, it may be necessary to establish a guardianship or conservatorship that grants legal standing to care for the child. This is particularly important so that the guardian has a standing to handle issues with schooling, medical care, and other integral aspects of raising the child.

Although circumstances vary in every family, motivations behind third party custody or guardianship matters frequently involve issues that make the parents unfit, such as:

  • Alcohol or drug abuse problems
  • Child abuse or neglect
  • Lack of maturity (especially in cases of teen parents)
  • Abandonment
  • Incarceration
  • Other issues

Many of our clients come to us when they have been raising their grandchild or niece/nephew for a period of time while the child’s parent was away or dealing with the problems that rendered them unfit to meet the child’s needs. Either they need legal standing to continue providing the support they have been providing, or the parent has returned to the picture and wishes to step back in as the child’s parent. We work closely with these clients to demonstrate that it truly is in the best interests of the child to remain with the third party and establish legal standing through a guardianship and conservatorship.

We also represent parents involved in these situations. We work with parents to demonstrate how they have overcome whatever problem kept them from parenting and how they are ready and able to provide the parenting the child needs and deserves.

Contact Us

Our child custody lawyer is available to answer your questions, listen to your concerns, and provide the kind of representation you need. Contact us, in Novi or Howell / Brighton, Michigan, to schedule a free consultation.

Free Consultation • Credit Cards Accepted