Paternity issues when a married woman has a child by another man

There has been a recent change to the Paternity Laws in the State of Michigan. Under the old law which had been established in 1956 a man who fathered a child with a married woman had not standing to bring an action to enforce his rights as a father unless the woman divorce and her ex-husband sought to have an a provision declaring that the child was not a product of the marriage.

Under the new law an alleged father can bring an action to preserve his rights and establish a relationship with his child if the action is brought within three years of the birth of the child and within one year the order of filiation is signed which ever is later. What is most important in this act is that the act gives the right to a father to bring an action for a child born prior to the act. However the action must be brought within one year from the date of the act which was June 12, 2012. This means that the time limit for bringing an action would be June 12, 2013. If you are the father of a child whose mother was married at the time of birth  and you want to have a relationship with your child than you need to act. If faced with this situation it is best to have an attorney assist you. I have 26 years of family law experience and can help. My offices are conveniently located for people who live in Novi, Northville, Livonia, Plymouth, South Lyon, Wixom, Milford, Highland, Brighton, Howell, and Fowlerville.